Friday, November 10, 2006

The Internet is Awesome for Travelers

I'm staying at a hotel near New York's JFK airport tonight. There's a restaurant here, but I felt like taking a walk and getting a deli sandwich. The hotel's located in some sort of a residential neighbourhood though, so it wasn't obvious where I could find a deli.

The hotel comes with free wireless internet, so I whipped out the laptop and fired up Google Maps. I punched in the address of the hotel, clicked on Find Businesses, typed in deli, and bam! -- there's Annie Mini Deli about five blocks away. Now, I'm back in the hotel room with a delicious roast beef sub and coffee!

What did we do before free internet access and online services? I guess one would have gone down to the lobby to ask the concierge. I wonder if such a request would have yielded directions to the same little neighbourhood deli though. Hmm...

No comments: