Sunday, October 22, 2006

New York: Second Weekend: Saturday

This weekend, I thought I'd go further out of Midtown Manhattan. I took the subway north all the way to 207th St to see the Dyckman Farmhouse, the only farmhouse on Manhattan Island. Not much to see here.

Dyckman Farmhouse Military Hut

I walked south on Broadway towards a subway station. On the way, I saw a section of the shops where all of the signs were in Spanish! I didn't realize you could find this in New York.

Spanish Store Signs in Upper Manhattan

A little further down, I saw another one of those "Don't Honk" penalty signs. Just the other day at work, because the building was so hot, we decided to open a window. Let me tell you, nobody obeys that sign.

Don't Honk

I was on my way to The Cloisters and came out at the 190th St subway station. Amazingly, they've got someone operating the elevator! I seriously didn't think that job existed anymore!

Staffed Elevator

After a stroll through Fort Tryon Park, I got to The Cloisters. It's a fairly nice place with a view of the Hudson River, and has these inner court yards, one of which has a cafe in it.

The Cloisters Wood Statues at The Cloisters

Working back south, I got to the Guggenheim Museum. I got a look at the inside, which has a pretty neat design. It was really crowded and expensive by the time I got there though, so I kept going.

Guggenheim Museum Roof

Back in midtown, I went to the Sony Building, which had a gigantic Spider-Man blow-up inside. Nice!

Huge Spider-Man Blow-Up Doll

You can see the Sony Wonder Tech Lab for free. It's a pretty neat setup... mostly for kids, but there're some cool things in there, like these chairs with stereo speakers mounted at ear-level.

Sony Wonder Tech Lab Chairs with Mounted Speakers

Went for dinner at RUB BBQ on 23rd. I had the "Burnt Ends Dinner", which has fatty beef brisket ends charred with sauce. Yum! Even the sides were good - onion strings and beans.

Before heading back to the hotel, I stopped in Times Square to see how busy it is on Saturday nights. There were so many people and so much slow-moving traffic! It's like Vegas... bright displays lighting up the streets.

Times Square Traffic Volume at Times Square Stock Ticker at Times Square Times Square Hershey's

There's a 3-storey Toys "R" Us, complete with its own ferris wheel. And a Hershey's store which I'll have to come back to visit when I'm not already full from dinner.

Since it was on the way, I stopped at the Rockefeller skating rink.

Rockefeller Skating Rink

Photo set at Flickr.

No comments: